In 1941, the airport was first established as a flight training school to support the United States military build-up prior to its entry into World War II. In three years it trained over 5000 personnel. Commercial airline flights began in 1950 when Bush Field, as it was by then named, was transferred to the City of Augusta. In 1955 the terminal was opened to sell fuel and provide service to visiting aircraft and it never looked back. To this day, the fuelling operation continues as a major source of revenue for the airport, keeping it self-sufficient and profitable. In 2000 the airport was renamed the Augusta Regional Airport and it now supports more than half a million passengers a year. During the Masters Golf tournament, traffic through Augusta soars with airlines responding with more flights on larger equipment including Delta Air Lines Boeing 737s and 757s. Augusta Regional Airport is served by Delta Air Lines and US Airways with typically 15 flights a day to Charlotte, North Carolina and Atlanta, Georgia.